Parents/Carers-What you can do
As parents you know your child best and have the greatest influence
- Ensure that your child attends school every day possible.
- Provide a positive environment for studying (comfortable/well lit/desk etc)
- Regular study is essential so your child should be revising each night.
- Check your child’s school planner/homework diary. This is also a record of work for your child as well as a record of homework due. Use it to discuss specific topic areas and to check that they are meeting deadlines.
- A great offer of help is to helpthe studying process by asking questions about your child’s learning.
- Be supportive of the pressure and possible stress that your child may feel-talk to them.
- Contact your child’s pupil support teacher if you have any concerns about your child’s learning.
- Ensure that your child has one evening a week away from studies.
- It is also important that your child takes regular breaks during their study periods.
- Encourage your child to manage their time effectively. Discuss and help them plan their study timetable. Examples of a study timetable will be given.
- Be aware of social media. Is time being spent studying or on Facebook/Twitter? Make sure your child is using the internet to study and not to give the appearance of study!
- Stay positive and stay calm! Help them to keep things in perspective.